Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Forecastle Festival: Sunday


The last day of Forecastle proved to be just as awesome as the first two - but any festival that ends with Wilco is going to be one that I love. Thanks again to Forecastle for an incredible weekend.  See you next year! (If you haven't seen my Friday and Saturday post on Forecastle, click on the days to take a look!)


Favorite festival discovery? Mr. Charles Bradley and His Extraordinaires. Oh my God is this man amazing! If you love soul music - and I'm talking about REAL soul music (Otis Redding, James Brown, etc.), then take a second to check him out. 

Charles Bradley and His Extraordinaires 

Patrick Hallahan sighting!  The My Morning Jacket drummer appeared while I was watching Charles Bradley and it took everything in me not to run up and hug him.

That's an owl. 

Trippy art. 

Chicago's own Fruit Bats had a great Forecastle set. Eric Johnson (former guitarist for The Shins) is the driving force behind this solid folk rock band - and it's fun to note that he was once a guitar instructor at the Old Town School of Folk Music. He's in the white shirt.

 Fruit Bats

After the Fruit Bats, I caught a little bit of Gramatik's set and was impressed. He does a good job of fusing hip hop, jazz, and funk into his beats. He recently signed with the Pretty Lights Music Label and is worth a listen.


Indie rock legend Neko Case played her country lullabies to the crowd at sunset and once again reminded me why she is so well respected in the musical community. Neko is one talented lady.

Beats Antique was one of the better acts of the entire weekend. They are crazy live: there's belly dancing, weird costumes, cool instruments, electro-world beats, and serious dancing. I highly recommend.

Beats Antique



My boyfriends - Jeff, Nels, Glenn, John, Pat, and Mikael - finished off the wonderful weekend of music. The setlist was killer (they opened with "Poor Places" followed by "Art of Almost" - fellow Wilco nerds will understand) and for the first time ever, I left a music fest wishing there were more days. Cheers, Forecastle!





No comments:

Post a Comment