Thursday, July 26, 2012

Forecastle Festival: Saturday


Thunderstorms early in the day attempted to spoil some of the Forecastle fun on Saturday, but the organizers did a great job of pushing back band start times so the rain could pass. I got a pretty lazy start to the day, so I ended up missing a few bands I was looking forward to seeing. Fortunately I'll be able to catch a couple of those acts at Lollapalooza next weekend. Upon arrival, I decided to wander through the "Louisville Village" and "Sustainable Living Roadshow" areas, both of which were pretty cool. One aspect of Forecastle that I really loved was how interactive it was - you could paint, you could play cornhole, you could play video games, you could participate in a skee-ball tournament, you could interact with live art installations, etc. The festival not only encouraged you to enjoy the music and talents of others, but it encouraged you exhibit your own creativity and abilities. (Didn't check out my Forecastle Friday post? Check it out here.) Stay tuned for my Forecastle Sunday post!



Just one of the many art vendors. I was particularly drawn to the portrait of Jesus drinking a PBR and smoking a cigarette.

While wandering around, I caught Adventure Club. He's a new but already popular name in the dubstep scene and I found myself bouncing along to a few of his tracks.

I LOVE Andrew Bird. Seriously. I love this man and his gorgeous music. And there is nothing more beautiful than an Andrew Bird sunset concert on the Ohio River. I've seen him multiple times and he never, ever gets old live.



The "Sustainable Living Roadshow and Forecastle Foundation" area


 Palm reading, anyone?

Forecastle attendees certainly tagged the shit out of this. 



A Saturday highlight for me was Washed Out. I was expecting to just see the man behind the name, Ernest Greene, but was pleasantly surprised that he now has a full touring band with him. The band really helped to make his lo-fi, chillwave tunes not just something to listen to, but something to see. I'm a huge fan of electronic musicians who are able to do more than just stand behind their Mac and turntable and actually play instruments live (SBTRKTCaribou, etc.).

Girl Talk throws a party every show. He (Gregg Gillis) brings a ton of people on the stage to bounce around him as he spins mashup after mashup. He gets everyone dancing - and watching the crowd during his set is always fun.

Headliners, Forecastle curators, and Louisville legends, My Morning Jacket, rocked the waterfront for 2.5 hours on Saturday night. They are one of my favorite bands, so to see them live in their hometown for the first time was seriously magical. They are one of the best live bands out there. During their set, my camera started to give me some problems, so I just put it away and enjoyed being in the moment. For better shots of the band, check out some of my photos from their 2010 Chicago show at Northerly Island.

Dean Wareham came on stage with MMJ for a gorgeous cover of George Harrison's "Isn't it a Pity." (Wareham is in the red shirt. Mr. Jim James - musical genius extraordinaire - is behind him.)

 Andrew Bird also made a surprise guest appearance during MMJ's set. Two of my favorites together on one stage - what a way to finish off the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment