Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Xiu Xiu, Dirty Beaches, and Father Murphy


Well, I've been wanting to talk about this show for awhile but I waited to ensure confirmation before I announced that I am now officially a house photographer for Lincoln Hall and Schubas! Needless to say, I am BEYOND excited for this opportunity. I'm one step closer to my dream career and I couldn't be more grateful. Lincoln Hall granted me a trial opportunity for the Xiu Xiu, Dirty Beaches, and Father Murphy concert in May. I was simultaneously nervous to prove myself and ecstatic to see the bands live. Here are some of the photos from the night. For more of my photos from the show, please click here. From there, you can access the photos through Lincoln Hall's facebook page.

Father Murphy opened the show. They are an Italian band and have an avant-garde sound. Some of their songs reminded me of Joy Division, while others were more like Collections of Colonies of Bees (though perhaps not as minimalist and with a more metal edge).

Father Murphy 

Father Murphy members were really nice and let me photograph them eating some grub after their set.

Next up was Dirty Beaches. I am actually a huge fan (check out Badlands if you haven't already), so it was cool to photograph him on my first night shooting for Lincoln Hall. 


Just captivating live.


Dirty Beaches' Alex Zhang Hungtai drinking kombucha and his touring guitarist drinking Jameson backstage. I love it.

Headlining the night was Xiu Xiu - an experimental/punk/art rock band that shockingly few have heard of, so I refer to them as an iconic cult band. Xiu Xiu is the brainchild of Jamie Stewart (pictured above) and they are one of the most interesting live acts I've ever seen. It's clear, not just from his music but also from meeting him, that Stewart is an introspective, deep thinker. He was somber, quiet, and contemplative backstage, and utterly explosive on stage. Earlier in the night, as I was walking into Lincoln Hall, I noticed Stewart across the street in a small, corner park. He was standing perfectly still, staring up at a tree, and (I can only assume) listening to birds chirping to one another. I couldn't help but feel as if I'd stumbled upon this magical, illuminating window into his creative process. It was very cool. Here is a fantastic and accurate review of their set.

Jamie Stewart and Angela Seo

Angela Seo pounding the cymbals.


I was fortunate to get a few photos of Xiu Xiu backstage just minutes before they went on stage. 


No comments:

Post a Comment