Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Tomorrow Never Knows Recap


Chicago's favorite annual winter music fest, Tomorrow Never Knows, just wrapped up this past Sunday. I went to a few of the many shows around town and I thought I'd share some of the photos with you. More can be viewed over at TNK's tumblr here. Stay tuned for another TNK post devoted to DARKSIDE's epic performance at the Metro.

I'll kick off the photos with Mutual Benefit, who played Lincoln Hall on Friday, because they released one of my favorite albums of 2013 ("Love's Crushing Diamond"). It's been on constant repeat on my record player this winter. They're up-and-coming. Check them out.











Thursday night Tim Hecker and Oneohtrix Point Never put everyone in an ambient trance at Lincoln Hall. I might not be cool enough to really get their whole aesthetic.

This is my lone shot of Tim Hecker. He wanted to play in the pitch black (my camera somehow managed to capture this - there's actually more light in this photo than there was at the show). While I'd have no problem sitting in the dark at home listening to any of his masterful albums, I found his live vibe to be pretentious. People pay to see musicians, not just listen to and feel their music.

Oneohtrix Point Never closed out the night with his drone electronic sounds while abstract images flashed across a screen hanging above him.



 Saturday I headed over to The Hideout for some comedy. Natasha Leggero gave me and the rest of the packed house a lot of laughs.



I never need an excuse to go to The Hideout. 

See you next year, TNK!

No comments:

Post a Comment