Saturday, July 13, 2013

Telluride Bluegrass Festival, Day 1


In June, I took my first trip to Colorado to attend the 40th Annual Telluride Bluegrass Festival with my fiancé and her family. My expectations were high having dreamt of traveling to Colorado for many years, but all were exceeded thanks to the stunning landscape and amazingly chill, organized, and fun festival. "Magical" is the first word that comes to mind when describing the trip. Telluride is truly a special place, as is its Bluegrass Festival, and I hope that you get an idea of why through my photos. I've divided my images into four posts, one for each day of the festival. So let's kick things off with Day 1:

Some of the breathtaking scenery on the drive from Montrose to Telluride.

Ralph and Ricky Lauren's fancy fence

Telluride. So charming. 


While in town, I noticed that there were a lot of vehicles with a lot of character. 


If you look closely, you can see white tents in the distance. That's the festival's incredible location! 


Complimentary picks for the "festivarians" (a word I was unfamiliar with before TBF). Nice touch. 


Backstage decor. 




And the fun begins... 


Chris Thile (of Nickel Creek and the Punch Brothers) kicked off the 40th Annual TBF by showcasing his mandolin skills.


The amazing Drepung Monks (who I saw a couple years ago at DePaul University) brought their mandala sand painting to Telluride. It's hard to explain just how beautiful the process is, but I documented some of it each day of the festival, so more photos to come!

The Opening Ceremony 

A young monk takes a break to play some cornhole. 

Elephant Revival. Solid young band with an eclectic sound. 



Great voice and she also dominated the washboard.

I have spent way too much time trying to figure out if the guy posing in this photo is Louie Anderson.

 Greensky Bluegrass (They're coming to Chicago soon - check them out at Lincoln Hall!)


First Sam Bush sighting (playing here with Greensky Bluegrass). He is the king of TBF and an absolute legend among bluegrass enthusiasts. 




Afternoon walk among the alpines.



Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell played a beautiful sunset set.


A captivated crowd watched Emmylou and Rodney.


Steve Martin and The Steep Canyon Rangers closed out Day 1 of TBF.


Edie Brickell joined them on stage for a few songs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment